We are happy to act as a resource centre for pupils and teachers. Please contact Jo Clifford at the shop to discuss how we can help.
Current primary school activities/topics
Session on tea including:
- Activity - spot the odd one out. To introduce the idea of fair trade.
- Tea quiz to identify the theme.
- "Identify the object" laminated quiz posters.
- "The Horrible Unfair Quiz" to illustrate disparity of power between small tea producers and big tea companies.
- Introduction to tea producers and their problems. Country focus: Tanzania
Session on bananas including:
- Building challenge, to demonstrate unfairness of unequal resources and trade rules.
- Banana quiz.
- Banana Split, a game in which the groups make decisions about what proportion of the price of a banana should go to the different facets of the production chain.
- Introduction to Windward Island Banana growers and their problems.
Session on chocolate including:
- Guess the commodity - strange facts
- Chocolate charades
- Country focus: Ghana
- The chocolate challenge quiz
Session on habitat including:
- Quiz on tropical/sub-tropical foods
- Decisions on how to use the fairtrade premium
- Water problems activity
- Blind chocolate tasting and ranking
Citizenship - diversity
- A drop in the ocean
Aim - to show children that even doing something very small to support fair trade can make a difference
- Chocolate heaven
Aim - to use the theme of chocolate to demonstrate the idea of unfairness in trade.
- What is fair trade?
Aim - to demonstrate and explain the need for fair trade.
- The Fairtrade Mark
Aim - to explain the fairtrade mark.
- Worldwide Connections
Aim - to demonstrate that we can't avoid being connected to others across the world through what we buy and eat.
PLUS All you need for a Fair Trade Assembly - 3 assembly outlines for Key Stages 2,3 and 4
» Read what the children said about a recent visit from Jo.
For further information please contact Jo Clifford at the shop.